Monday, April 16, 2012

Yaki Soba Recipe

When I was young my mother introduced me to a rather delightful dish...Yaki Soba (though at my young age I called it Yaki Sobi) made in the Okinawa style taught to her by her aunt who learned it in Hawaii. Ah tradition...the way I had it was made differently than the recipe I am sharing, this version is more of a mix of what I grew up with and traditional Yaki Soba.

Originally presented to me made with spaghetti, spam, cabbage, bell peppers, onions, loads of garlic, and soy sauce (cheap, easy, and very tasty) my version has a few more ingredients.

Ingredients:
1 package Soba Noodles. (Soba noodles are buckwheat for anyone who did not know)
2 cans light Spam (regular I find makes it a bit too salty)
1 head of Nappa Cabbage
1 bulb of garlic or 10 cloves
1 can baby corn
1 can bean sprouts
1 large bell pepper
1 onion
fresh Ginger to taste (I use a lot, but some of my eaters complain)
1/2lb Snow Peas
Ponzu Sauce
Soy Sauce
Stir Fry Oil
Sesame Seeds

First step is to cook the soba noodles, they take about 3-4 minutes to cook so you need to stay focused on them. I find it is easier to cook them either before or after the stir frying since they take such a short time to cook. After they are strained I find it makes serving them a bit easier if you toss a bit of the stir fry oil on the noodles to keep them from sticking together.

Next, heat the oil and sesame seeds in your wok (or very large pan) once the seeds start to dance toss in the garlic, ginger, and onions and saute them up. Next toss in the sliced up Spam and stir fry that for about a minute, after that add some of the Ponzu and Soy sauce, sorry for no exact measurements but I always eye it up. You want the spam to be coated in the sauce an soak up its flavor without being drowned, stir fry that for about a minute.

Next add the peppers, snow peas, corn, and bean sprouts. Mix them with the Spam and sauces until the peppers are tender but still crisp, add more sauce if needed. At this point you add the cabbage and stir fry until it is just lightly wilted. I usually add more Ponzu sauce at this point.

At this point you are more or less finished! Just place some noodles in a bowl and add some of the stir fry to the top. You can stir fry the noodles in with the veggie/Spam mix, but I find it makes them too mushy.

This recipe makes a large batch which I usually live off of for a couple days, so I would say it could serve 4 with maybe a bit leftover.

No comments:

Post a Comment