Friday, September 28, 2012

Curing Lupus, Step One

Anyone who follows me on Facebook probably saw my post about trying to fix my Lupusy self (it is a title, deal with it) using Traditional Chinese Medicine, Qigong, Chi and Element management, and correct diet. I am doing this for a few reasons
-I am bloody terrified of doctors, its a silly fear but I have had a lifetime of almost comically bad medical events in my life to earn said fear
-normal conventional medical techniques seem to not work on me...I build up immunities to medication really fast, I get just about every side effect there is (not just minor ones, I had seizures from Zoloft) and end up worse off then when I am not taking any meds at all.
-I prefer the Traditional Chinese Medicine approach to looking at the body and treating illnesses, I remember reading about it as a kid and thinking 'you know, that just seems more right to me' and never changed my mind.

The first step is finding out how TCM looks at Lupus. First off apparently Lupus affects primarily people who are Metal or Water types, well...as to be expected I am a nice mix of both, very heavy on the Water and Metal (and I like it that way) with like no Earth to speak of at all (that I should probably balance out)

Lupus is caused by deficient Lung Metal Chi and deficient Kidney Water Yin causing small brushfires around the body. It is not a true 'Fire' since the body lacks sufficient Chi to fuel them and is caused by deficient Yin rather than a true excess of Yang. I like to think of it as being a drought in my body and the Yang starts small fires because the Yin just did not show up to the party! These 'fires' show as inflamed joints, mouth ulcers, Malar rash and other things in that nature.

There are a few well documented herbal remedies and acupuncture techniques to help the yin deficiency, but the first (and possibly easiest) thing to try and implement is a diet change (groan...I really hate diet changes after my bought with Celiac misdiagnosis and then the Ulcer problem)  but luckily this one is not horrible (yay!)

Foods that increase Yin
Grains
Barley, millet, oatmeal
Vegetables
Alfalfa sprout, artichoke, asparagus, kelp, mung bean sprout, okra; pea, potato, seaweed, string bean, sweet potato, tomato (especially tomato paste), water chestnut, yam, zucchini
Fruit
Apple, bilberry; blueberry; blackberry; apricot, avocado, banana, goji berries, lemon, lime, mango, mulberry, pear, persimmon, pineapple, pomegranate, watermelon
Bean
Adzuki, black beans, black soya, kidney, lima, mung
Bean Products
Tofu (not too much for potential thyroid or osteoporosis issues)
Nuts and seeds
Coconut milk, sesame seed, black sesame seed, walnut
Fish
Fish in general but especially clam, fresh water clam, crab, cuttlefish, oyster, octopus, sardine
Meat
Beef, duck, goose, pork, pork kidney, rabbit
Dairy
Cheese, chicken egg, cows milk (especially raw and grass fed), duck egg
Herbs and spices
Marjoram, nettle slippery elm, marshmallow, holy basil
Oils and Condiments
Honey, malt, coconut oil, ghee, red palm oil for cooking, extra virgin olive oil as condiment. Carlson’s lemon flavored fish oil as condiment.
Supplements
American ginseng, royal jelly, blueberry solid extract, tomato solid extract, cod liver or fish oils, Vitamin D


Foods especially useful to tonify Kidney Yin Deficiency.

Vegetables
Potato, squash, sweet potato, yamAlfalfa sprouts, asparagus, kelp, potato, seaweed, string bean, sweet potato, yam
Fruit
Lemon, lime, mulberry
Bean
Aduki, black bean, black soya bean, kidney bean
Nuts and Seeds
Black sesame seed
Fish
Fresh water clam, oyster
Meats
Duck, pork kidney
Dairy
Chicken egg

Examples of every day western foods that can be used to build yin

• Fruit smoothies with honey and banana
• Oatmeal with slippery elm powder and goji berries
• Fruit salad made with the fruits listed above
• Fish dishes with coconut milk and stir fried okra
• Omelettes with cheese and vegetables
• Japanese seaweed salad
• Asparagus and egg salads with sesame seeds
• Tacos made with Kidney beans and topped with a small amount of cheese
• Baked Potato stuffed with tofu with soya sauce and sesame seeds.
• Pork and apple dishes
•Liver, especially pork liver stir fried with sesame oil and mushrooms
• Miso soup with tofu and seaweed

Foods to avoid

It is important to ensure that stimulating foods are not being consumed, as these will only further depleate yin. Caffeine, alcohol, sugar and strong heating/ pungent spices all belong in this category. Note. Yin building foods like yin tonifing herbs have a tendency to be congest the spleen and promote stagnation if large amounts are consumed.
It is therefore important to consume small quantities frequently rather than large helpings irregularly.
(copied from This site there are lots of others that say the same thing more or less but this one had the best layout)
One thing this list forgot to mention was Green Tea and Chamomile tea...easy enough for me! I will be adding in other things like Qigong and Chi balancing along with the food...wouldn't it be great if all I needed was a new diet!


*note, I am not giving medical advice or proposing one style of treatment over the other, this is just recording what I am doing so that the people who care about me and live far away can keep up and so I can keep a personal record. *


2 comments:

  1. All of that sounds perfect for you. Good-luck, I really hope this works for you. It kind of goes along with theories I have had about foods you should reduce or cut out and intake of foods that I felt you should increase. I am so glad you are trying this! Loves and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. Instead of taking medications, your making your body fight naturally. Let me know how it goes!
    washi ~ swapbot

    ReplyDelete