Monday, January 13, 2014

Della Terra: Fireside Spice, A Tea Review

The weather of the Midwest never ceases to amaze me, yesterday and today has been unseasonably warm with a high in the 60s. Even though I am stuck in bed I can have the windows open and enjoy the fresh air. Tomorrow however, it is supposed to drop down into the colds again, when I checked yesterday they were predicting snow but now the weather reports sun. I miss the reliability of East Coast weather.

Today's tea is Fireside Spice by Della Terra Teas is a wonderfully spiced seasonal tea, that I am reviewing past its season again. I seem to be notorious for logging the tasting notes in my journal and by the time I get around to reviewing it on my blog, the season has passed. This tea is a blend of Chinese Black Tea, Vanilla flavor and Vanilla bits, Ginger bits, Chai Spices, and White Cornflowers. The aroma is powerful, a real kick of spices and sweetness. It reminds me of a heavily spiced snickerdoodle cookie with citrus pomander undertones. The aroma is deliciously sweet and tantalizing.

Once brewed the leaves take on a malty tone, it is still cookie sweet with notes of vanilla, spices, and caramelized sugar. There is still a very faint aroma of oranges as an afterthought. The liquid has such a sweet aroma, the vanilla and spice notes really make it feel like I am sniffing a freshly baked cookie.

The taste is spicy and rich, the notes of vanilla blend with the spices for a sugary sweet treat. I know I keep going on about cookies, but I really feel it is the best description. The tea tastes like warm, freshly baked, snickerdoodles but with extra spice. The cloves and cinnamon give a tingly mouthfeel that fades to a smooth mouthfeel. I prefer this tea with cream and sugar, the additives really cause the vanilla to take center stage and mellows out the spices just a bit. It is a perfect tea for a cold or dreary day, when you need a warm and sweet pick-me-up.

2 comments:

  1. There are lots of advantages of drinking black tea.So many health problems can be avoided by black tea.The tea with no milk is very good than the tea with milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this chilled weather it is good to have a cup of tea in the morning. By having a cup of tea energies the body feels relaxed. I have tried this black tea it is very good in taste.

    ReplyDelete