Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Meet My Tea Tools: Part II

Several months ago I had a nice introductory post for most of my tea tools with a nice sequel hook at the end. So here it is, the long awaited Part II of the tea tools!

 The first tool to make an appearance is Xue, my Gaiwan. The poor thing was unlucky enough to receive a chip the day it arrived from China. Withing minutes of me unboxing it I did something clumsy and gave it its little ding on the rim. Even though it is damaged I still love it and use it constantly, it has taken my oolong obsession to the next level. I decided to name it Xue which means snow since it is white and delicate.

Next is my Shudei Kyusu who was lucky enough to get his own review. Not sure why this teapot is a dude, but he is and he is my dude. I use him for all my Japanese greens now and I certainly can taste a difference, of course that could just be in my head since I am using a fancy teapot, clearly I need a blind taste test. I decided to name this teapot Haru, since all the teas I drink out of him remind me of springtime.

This pretty little pitcher is a new addition to my collection thanks to my mother and Numi Organic Tea Artisan's Tea Blending Kit. I received it as a Christmas gift because she knew I wanted to start blending my own teas and thought it was a good place to start (she is right of course, sometime in the future the whole kit will get its own blog post). I have decided to turn this into a makeshift Chaihai (or Fairness Cup) for when I am brewing Gong Fu style.

BUBBLES! These adorable bubble cups were part of a set of four from DAVIDsTEA that I split with my mother, since we had both been lusting after these style cups for a while. I use them when I want to be really fancy with my Gong Fu brewing, but I am always afraid of popping them. They remind me of something a fairy could be seen sipping out of, so magical and delicate.

I picked this pretty tea bowl up at an antique shop over the summer when I was in Pennsylvania. Turns out it is not antique (I didn't think it was, but it was 50 cents, I couldn't say no) and is maybe as old as I am. What it is though is pretty and delicate. I love the double crane and turtle motifs used.

I got this lovely cast iron teapot and trivet for my birthday from Ben's parents. I really love the rust coloring and morning glory motif, it needs an appropriate name still.

This set has a tragic story, I found the cream and sugar set along with a matching teapot at the thrift store and I was practically ecstatic. I have never owned a matching tea set and was so happy to finally have one, so of course when I got the teapot home and used it I found out it had a huge crack...by it dripping boiling water all over me. I was not amused, but at least I still have the cream and sugar set!

These were an awesome freecycle find, hand painted from Washington, I just loved the Mad Hatter style of these dainty teacups. I plan on having a thematically appropriate tea party at some point using these cups.

This is my beloved pair of Somayaki teacups. Many years ago I had a complete set, sadly this was during a really rough part of my life and I had to sell it for food money and I have missed my set immensely. Luckily I found these two at the local thrift store and about exploded with happy. One day I hope to be wealthy enough to get a complete set again.

I love Edward Gorey, everything he did just makes me so happy, so when I fell in love with these mugs that belonged to Ben's dad, he was kind enough to give them to me last Christmas. I never use them because I am afraid of breaking them (I am really clumsy) but they sit on my shelves for me to enjoy.

This strainer is so delightfully British, and that makes me happy. I use it when I am brewing a pot of tea or when I am wanting to be multicultural with me Gong Fu straining.

Tea with Milk, it used to be the only way I would drink tea oh so long ago. I still drink some of my teas that way, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have had this tea mug for quite a while, it is probably the thing I have owned the longest.

Lastly is the Tea Cat, she is not really a tea tool but I cannot make tea without her. No really, she is always there when I make tea and tries to steal my tea. Occasionally I make her a mug of catnip tea and she enjoys a cup with me. My other cat doesn't like tea much after that one accident that involved her knocking over a hot mug...the Tea with Milk mug actually...onto both her and me. We both recovered with minimal scalding and severe annoyance, but she certainly no longer likes it.

4 comments:

  1. I love your collection of tea tools hehe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catnip tea? Do tell. I have one that loves to eat catnip, not just sniff it. I wonder if he'd be interested in tea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an ancient secret among my people...ok, not it isn't :) not sure if this would work for cats that only like to sniff it, but mine also like eating the stuff like it is going out of style. What I do is use a little over a teaspoon of catnip (fresh makes the really good stuff) and steep in in boiling water for about 5-7 minutes. After that I let it cool to tepid before serving them. I got the idea after a friend gave my cats these http://www.petbuddies.com/prod_details.php?cat=34&p=105

      Apparently catnip is also good for belly aches though that I have never tried.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you have some excellent tea things! I'm impressed with your amazing knowledge of tea!! I feel I'm pretty adequate in my British "tea stuff" knowledge---but know nothing about Asian teas and customs. Great blog!

    lostinavalon via SwapBot

    ReplyDelete