Monday, July 14, 2014

Adagio Teas: Yunnan Noir, A Tea Review

Happy Monday everyone! Thanks to Typoon Neoguri pushing arctic air (aka the Polar Vortex) most of the Midwest has nice weather today. In fact we are going to have record low temperatures tonight and unseasonable cool weather for the next couple days. Break out the party gear because I am celebrating, you all know by now that I loath temperatures above 80 degrees, so I am practically giddy with the prospect of comfortable weather. I plan on celebrating by sleeping through the night for the first time in days, so maybe instead of party gear I should break out the pillows.


Today's tea is from Adagio Teas, Yunnan Noir. An adorable fuzzy golden tea from Yunnan, you might know it by its other more popular names, Golden Bi Luo Chun or Golden Snail Tea. I adore fuzzy golden teas, something about them always puts me in a good mood just by looking at them, of course tasting them also helps. The aroma of the dry tea is rich and quite sweet, with notes of cocoa, roasted peanuts, yams, honey, and a delicate finish of dried cherry. It is nothing short of mouthwatering, but I do have a great love for this kind of tea.

Even though Adagio only has Western steeping instructions, I decided to brew mine in my gaiwan. I used 195 degree water with steeping times of 30s, 60s, and 90s just in case anyone wants to give it a try. The aroma of the now quite soggy (and no longer gold and fuzzy) leaves is rich, with notes of malt, molasses, roasted peanuts, and a sweet cocoa finish. The liquid is creamy sweet with notes of cocoa butter, a touch of yams and a hint of roasted peanuts.

The first steeping is light, a creamy blend of sweet cocoa, roasted peanuts and a rich aftertaste of molasses. The mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy, it fills up the mouth with sweetness. It is pretty on par with other golden Bi Luo Chun teas I have had (though that number is fairly small, I really need to get more!) though a tiny bit sweeter.

For the second steeping the aroma is much richer, the same notes of sweet cocoa and roasted peanuts, but with an added kick of molasses at the finish. The taste is also much richer, there are strong notes of cocoa at the beginning this transitions to a rich mid taste of molasses, with finally a finish of malt. There is a roasted peanut and honey aftertaste that lingers for a bit.

Last steeping time, the aroma is almost identical to the first steeping, light with sweet notes of cocoa butter, yams, and roasted peanuts. The taste is as rich as the previous steep, but instead of being creamy is starts off with a briskness. There are notes of cocoa and roasted nuts that fade to molasses, at the end there is a slight metallic taste. The aftertaste is one of honey, it does not linger as long as the second steep. I really like this tea, it might be my new favorite from Adagio, but I would have to compare it with my other favorites to be absolutely sure.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely sounding tea.
    I am so behind in reading your blog. I need to catch up. I love reading these tea adventures and little snippets of your life. <3

    ReplyDelete