Friday, September 5, 2014

Simple Loose Leaf: September Subscription Box, Part One

Woo! Dinosaurs! I am currently taking Paleontology 101 as an online course and I am nailing it out of the water (sadly the class on combining idioms does not exist, so I had to wing it) and of course loving it. When I was just a wee thing, my first career aspiration was to be a Paleontologist (followed by Archaeologist and a pile of other -ologists) and I have never given up my love of dinosaurs. Today's teas (to the best of my knowledge) has nothing to do with dinosaurs though, it is the first part of the Simple Loose Leaf's September Subscription Box! I am going to start with the Western Brewed teas (like I do) and cover the teas I brewed in my gaiwan in my next tea review post.
Assam FTGFOP

This tea is a very pretty example of FTGFOP black tea, or Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe, because tea grading is rather long winded. This particular black tea (with its adorable golden tips) is from Assam, India. The aroma of the leaves is malty and quite sweet, like dried cherries and prunes, with a hint of fresh apricots and a finish of oak wood. Brewing the tea will get you a nice burst of a bright, brisk, and malty aroma. The wet leaves still retain their notes of fruit, but it is not as strong, the wet leaves have more of a wake you up aroma now. 

The liquid without its leafy friends is brisk with notes of dried fruit, malt, and oak wood. It smells very rich, perfect for when I have just woken up and need a brisk awakening. The taste is brisk and quite malty with notes of oak wood and a sweet finish of dried fruit. The package said it was good as a straight tea or with milk and sugar, so I decided to honor my British relatives and have myself some milky tea. Adding the milk and sugar makes the briskness vanish and the richness of the malt take center stage, it is delicious with how rich and fruity it is now. I say if you want a black tea that wakes you up, go straight...if you want a black tea that soothes you, go with the milk and sugar. 

Original Herbal Chai

Ah, nothing like chai before bed time, a nice soothing spice without tons of caffeine, always a pleasure. This particular chai is a blend of Rooibos, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Ginger root, Cloves, and Black peppercorns...a traditional blend with an herbal twist. The aroma...well, this is definitely not a stick your nose in the bag kind of tea, very potent spices which will make you sneeze a lot if you are a goof like me. It is intensely peppery and gingery, very sweet too with all its spices and rooibos. The brewed leaves bring out more of the woody quality of the rooibos along with a potent note of cardamon, pepper, and ginger. The other spices are not as strong as those three, but they are definitely present. 

After adding the customary milk and sugar, the aroma is still very spicy with strong notes of pepper and ginger, along with woody sweet rooibos. The taste is pretty awesome, very strong in the spice department starting off with warming pepper and ginger, moving on the cardamon, and finishing with mouth tingling cloves and cinammon. Luckily the cinnamon is not too strong, I find that a lot of spiced teas make the mistake of having cinnamon be the alpha spice. The rooibos is present as well, around the midtaste you get caramel notes and it finished with woody sweetness and a slight dryness at the finish. A perfect sip for a cool rainy day (like it is for me today.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.