Saturday, November 8, 2014

Saturday Musing: Influenster & Mary Kay: Clear Proof Acne System

So, I did something kinda fun, I was selected by Influenster to test Mary Kay's Clear Proof Acne System for a month. Usually I shy away from testing skin care products since my skin is obnoxiously sensitive, with a combination of chemical sensitivities and seborrheic dermatitis. I decided to take the plunge this time because this system is supposed to be for sensitive skin and I am tired of being a grown woman with acne. I should say, and you will see with my 'before' photo, my acne is not that bad, just annoying, especially since I have to use unconventional ways of combating it.

My previous facial care regimen was pretty simple, I wash my face with my selenium shampoo which keeps the seborrheic dermatitis on my face somewhat under control, I used an walnut shell scrub to deal with dry skin, and used Witch Hazel as an astringent. Pretty straight forward. I will be reviewing the system in parts rather than as a whole, since opinion is pretty varied.

Clarifying Cleansing Gel

This stuff certainly cleansed my face! It left my skin feeling clean and refreshed, no real burning or irritation, except on actual spots where I had my dermatitis breaking out. I liked this soap, I could see myself using it in the future. I found that mixing this with Witch Hazel did wonders, or even alternating it with a milder soap at night and this one in the morning, or vice-versa.

Blemish Control Toner

I have pretty mixed feelings on this toner, on the one hand it removed any oil or dirt from my face...on the other hand it also removed part of my face I think. It was way too harsh and drying, albeit very invigorating. I doubt I will continue using it. Also, pro-tip,

Acne Treatment Gel

This one might have been my favorite, if a nasty little zit popped up, just put some of this stuff on it before bed, and boom, by morning a huge improvement. I have tried spot treatments before and usually it ends in tears, so having one that is really mellow while actually doing work, I consider that a huge win.

Oil Free Moisturizer for Acne Prone Skin

I don't know what it is about my skin that won't let me use moisturizers, really skin, it is getting old! No matter how 'senistive' or 'non-greasy' it claims to be, I always break out in a rash and my skin feels greasy. I put the lotion on my skin (no hoses were involved) at night and I woke up with super greasy, grainy skin. I tried it in the morning and it was not as grainy, but it caused my dermatitis to flair up.

So there it is, that is my after shot, as you can see my skin is pretty red and a little more broken out than the before shot. Well, yours truly's acne is mostly allergy and hormone related and somebody ate something she wasn't supposed to (I was on vacation, I was not missing out on Southern Food while in the South) meaning massive acne outbreak. The treatment really did help, it lasted only about a week instead of much longer like these have in the past. I do wish the Toner was a little less harsh and didn't turn me so lobster pink.

* I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes.*

4 comments:

  1. You might try using just a drop of an oil, such as olive oil or argan oil or whatnot, in place of a moisturizer. I have a TON of friends who had oily and dry, but sensitive skin who found that using this at night meant their skin was less inflamed in general. Bonus, no weird chemicals involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will have to give that a try :)

      Delete
  2. Try coconut oil!! I use it to actually wash my face. Helps get all the makeup off too. I have some if you'd like to try it out. A little goes a looooong way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom has some too! Plus I have some back in KC, so I really need to try it out because my skin hates me right now

      Delete