|Fresh out of its wrapping, pre-bath|
|Yep, there is a teapot in there|
The clay used to make my teapot is really earthy, for lack of a better term, giving a similar apperance to what the interwebs calls Sesame (Zima) Duan Ni (in comparison with the much rarer Ben Shan Lu Ni type of Duan Ni) making it rougher in texture, duller in color, with black and red particles in it...and using it to brew Pu Erh in will cause the color to take on a rust tone. Guess what tea I seasoned this teapot for, yep, Shou Pu Erh all the way. I noticed the color intensity after a many hour soak, I was expecting the change to be more gradual, but this is perfectly fine by me.
|Wow, you are so much darker!|
Now, about that frustration part. This teapot was designed with form over function in mind I think, and being a complete derp I did not think about that before I fell in love with it. As soon as I got it home I tested its pour, I needed to make sure my plan of going for a Pu Erh was a good call, and if I was going to go Sheng or Shou. So I filled it up, poured...and promptly made a mess, turns out since the spout opening is higher than the top of the teapot, when I have it completely vertical to pour, it also goes out the lid. Hmmm, said I, and with a little experimenting realized I need to either not fill it entirely, or pour at an angle making for a slightly slower pour. That took Sheng out for me, which is fine, I was hoping to go Shou anyway. Also there is the way to hold the teapot, definitely a two hander (unless you have massive huge hands, or just not super tiny) because the set up of the ears/handles is certainly not normal. That part is not so much frustrating just a bit tricky at first to figure out.