Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Teakruthi: Ceylon Ivory, A Tea Review

You know, shout out to Oolong Owl and her awesome Tea Stash Spreadsheet, currently, I am busy adding all my teas to the spreadsheet, and it is very rewarding to see a pie chart with all my tea sorted into stats. I am a sucker for organization (even if I am a little bit lousy at it) and this spreadsheet is super useful, I seriously recommend it if you want to know what is in your stash. Because let us be honest, we all tend to occasionally lose track of tea in our stash unless it is right in front of us! I will have to reveal my stats when I finally have it all written out, but one surprise I have noticed is I have more different Oolongs than Hongcha, though that will change since I have a very big box of Yunnan goodness on the way, unsurprisingly the tea I have the least amount of is Yellow.

Tea stats aside, I have a fun tea to talk about today, Teakruthi's Ceylon Ivory, a fluffy white tea from Sri Lanka. It is no secret at this point that I am a real fan of drinking teas not often produced from famous regions (like Japanese heicha or Malawian white tea) I like tasting the spectrum that a region can offer, even if they are famous for a specific different kind of tea. Looking at the fluffy silvery and green leaves, it looks like a classic Bai Mu Dan style white, combining leaf and buds, it is very fuzzy just loaded with silver trichomes. The aroma of the fluffy leaves is light and sweet, with notes of hay, cucumbers, wildflowers, and a touch of both crisp lettuce and warm honey.

I decided to brew this like I do with my usual BMD stash; heavy leafing, 195° F water (partially because I do most teas at this temperature...thank you Zojirushi) and a fairly long first steep at a whopping two minutes....which seems super long for gongfu steeping. The aroma of the steeped leaves is sweet and crisp, with notes of blooming wildflowers (especially asters) wildflower honey, straw and hay, and a touch of cucumbers at the finish. The liquid is sweet and yeasty, with straw, honey, wildflowers, and baked farm bread.

The first steep is light and sweet, light in taste, notes, and mouthfeel. It is smooth in the mouth, but very light, no real thickness but it does have a ticklish sensation due to all those wonderful trichomes. It starts with a light straw and hay which pretty quickly moves to wildflowers and melon. The finish is a crisp blend of cucumber and yeasty bread, making me crave a cucumber sandwich. There is a sweet honey aftertaste that is light but does linger.

Sadly I was only able to get two solid steeps out of this tea. There was not much of a change between steep one and two, other than steep two being lighter and a stronger level of yeasty fresh baked bread. If you want a really strong steep (mind you, you really only get one this way) go for a western style steeping and...I am not pulling your leg...steep it for like 10 minutes. The tasting notes will be mostly the same but much stronger and sweeter with a thicker mouthfeel, so really it comes down to wanting a stronger single cup or two more subtle ones.

This tea was sent for review purposes by the company.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, this is a wonderful review-- thank you for taking the time to try our teas!

    ReplyDelete