Friday, February 17, 2017

Origins Tea: Rose Oolong, A Tea Review

It seems as though it is already spring time, all week the weather has been warm and sunny, and my yard is full of crocuses! Granted the early spring brings sadness, because with warm weather comes aloof cats. Neither of my cats want to snuggle with me any longer, they want to stretch out in the window or whatever patch of sun they can find, and I don't blame them, I keep debating going outside with my tea...but then remember my favorite place is in my tea room and decide to just enjoy the open windows. Granted Midwest weather is always a strange thing, so we might get another weird May blizzard again.

Today I am looking at a tea that seems more at home during summer than spring, Rose Oolong from Origins Tea, a green Oolong blended and scented with roses. It is no secret by now that I am a huge fan of roses in my tea, and just roses in general, they bring back many happy childhood memories. The aroma blends gently nutty sweet notes of the Oolong with heady roses, making it smell very similar to rose marzipan, which is a dessert that needs to happen (maybe a weekend baking project for me!) It is very sweet while also being floral, luckily for those who only kinda like rose, it is not super strong, being like rose water in a dessert than a face full of a bouquet.

I decided to brew this tea in my serpentinite gaiwan, really to let those pink petals pop against the dark green stone. The aroma of the wet leaves does increase the rose, smelling like a rose garden in bloom with undertones of sesame, hyacinth, honeysuckle, and almond. It is both sweet and heady with a touch of green. The liquid is sweet and smooth, roses and honeysuckles mix with crushed vegetation and a touch of almonds and sesame seeds.

The first several steeps are all light in both mouthfeel and taste, it takes this tea a while to really show its stuff. This is good for those who don't want a ton of rose, as the first few steeps are fairly light in the rose taste, just adding a bit of sweetness and distant rose in the aftertaste. The majority of the first few steeps showcase the gentle sweet nuttiness and honeysuckle taste with undertones of crushed vegetation and a bit of lettuce.

Now around steep four the roses really decide to show up, taking up both the front and the end of each sip, with the midtaste being almonds, honeysuckles, and a touch of crushed vegetation. If you let the cup go cold the taste becomes sweeter, with a stronger lingering rose taste. I will definitely have to try cold steeping this tea when summer does come around, but with it being it the high seventies, why wait? I thought this tea was a great example of a rose tea that doesn't overshadow the underlying tea, which can be a serious problem sometimes.

This tea was sent for review purposes by the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment