Friday, November 1, 2013

Teavivre: Premium Tai Ping Hou Kui Green Tea, A Tea Review

I don't know what has been wrong with me today, I have been in such a case of the blahs. I have a fear that I might be getting sick again, but it is that time of year! I drank several cups of strong black tea hoping to get myself out of this funk but no luck, it was a staring at the computer and not changing out of my PJs kinda day. To cheer myself up I wanted to review a tea that looks like life and beauty, a real reminder of how pretty the world can be.
Hello unique leaves

So I decided to go with Premium Tai Ping Hou Kui Green Tea by Teavivre, a Spring harvested Green Tea from Anhui Province. These unique and rather large leaves are pressed flat in an oven when being processed, which gives them their fantastic, showy appearance. Feel free to click on the More Info tab on the link, there is a wealth of information that could fill up a blog post on its own about this specific tea.  This beautiful tea is completely new to me and I had to brew it in my glass tea pot to get the complete view. The aroma of these large and vibrantly green leaves is sweet and very vegetal. Specifically notes of asparagus, fresh grass, and a touch of myrrh. Ok, that last one is more resinous than vegetal but it came in as a wisp at the tail end of the grass note. As an afterthought there is the aroma of fresh peaches, this tea very much so has the aroma of springtime.

Once I place the beauties in the teapot the aroma becomes a bit like chestnut and more like artichoke and a touch of spinach. There is no longer a grass aroma, just vegetal. The liquid has a sweet and vaguely floral aroma, notes of very soft jasmine mixing with spinach and spring greenery. Very mild and refreshing.

The first thing I notice is the smooth and buttery mouthfeel, it feels really wonderful in my mouth. The taste is vegetal at first, like a mix of spinach and green beans with a slightly nutty quality. The nuttiness reminds me of macadamia nuts or maybe just a touch of sticky rice? There is a sweet aftertaste similar to sweetness that is naturally in macadamia nuts. As the tea cools it takes on a slight herbaceous tone and the mouthfeel becomes even more buttery. This tea is delicious, it made my gloomy spirit feel better by capturing a bit of the outside in my teapot. Sometimes you find really showy looking teas that end up having no taste, but this is certainly not the case with Tai Ping Hou Kui, I recommend giving it a try!
This photo of the steeping leaves reminds me of my old freshwater aquarium. 

1 comment:

  1. It really is a beautiful, spring looking tea. Just looking at it is mood boosting. I agree the one photo does look like a freshwater aquarium ;-).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.