Friday, June 26, 2015

Liquid Proust Teas: Experimental Fun and New Shop

You know what I love? When creative people with good taste in teas start creating their own crazy concoctions, it is like mad science and alchemy, a bit of magic, and a ton of randomness...and I think it is awesome! I greatly enjoy featuring artists and new shops, I like seeing what they will do, and have found a few favorites this way...so let us look at our newest find: Liquid Proust Tea! I know this fine chap through steepster, his blog, and instagram, it has been a blast watching and trying some of his experiments as he prepared for the launch of his shop. I was able to try three of his experiments, sadly none of these were deemed worthy of inclusion into the shop, but I thought, why not celebrate the grand opening with a bit of a review?

Watermelon Tie Guan Yin with Gyokuro

Yes, that blend sounds as crazy as you think. I was probably the most apprehensive of this one out of the three, see I have a lifetime hate of watermelon...until about a year ago I ate some and surprisingly loved it, next thing I knew I was devouring slices of watermelon like it was going out of style. The aroma of this tea is pretty peculiar, mixing heady flowers with fresh vegetation, a bit of umami kelp, and delicate watermelon. Like someone is sitting next to you eating watermelon while you are sitting sipping your tea, it does not overwhelm at all, also props for it smelling like the melon and not candy.

I brewed this one in my gaiwan, got several steeps out of it too! The mouthfeel was delightfully creamy and smooth, and the taste was something else. It took the familiar sweet and floral notes of a green TGY and mix it with bright green notes of celery and lettuce, with a hint of buttery and green seaweed note. But where is the watermelon you might ask? Oh it is there, it blooms in the midtaste as a delicate, juicy, watermelon with an accompaniment of the green rind. It does not evolve much over steeps except the buttery Gyokuro notes became stronger, which I loved.

Charcoal Roasted Tie Guan Yin with Orange Mate

I did a bit of a hmmm when deciding how to brew this one, so I defaulted to gaiwan because of course I did. The aroma is delightfully roasty, you know me and my love of char and toasted notes, the added mellow notes of orange peel and the really odd note of mate blend well. Mate is a strange thing, it smells vaguely of sage and burnt pinto beans, herbaceous and strange, but not in an unpleasant way.

I went for a couple steeps with this one too, it was wonderful experiencing the growth of the roasted notes, starting out as toasted sesame and roasted oranges and building to intense notes of char and wood. There was of course the mate, it did not necessarily clash with the oolong, but it is so strange tasting that it takes me out of the moment, the roasty toasty moment. As the steeps progressed the mate taste mellowed out and the orange notes increased, blending really well with the char, overall I had mixed feelings on this peculiar tea.

Blackberry Sage Keemun

Wow, it has been forever since I had either a blackberry tea or a Keemun, sad, Keemun used to be one of my favorite black teas before being ousted by the fuzzy golden Yunnans, I kinda miss it. Oh man, the aroma of this one is intensely blackberry, very sweet and creamy with a bit of a crust aroma, like a blackberry cobbler. There is also a gentle hint of sage at the very end, which is kinda fun, it tickles the nose a bit.

This one was so tasty! Boo that it isn't in the store! The Keemun is mellow and sweet, adding an underlying chocolate and slight floral edge to the intense blackberry notes. It tastes like cobbler and this makes me immensely happy. The sage is pretty mellow, just sneaking in at the finish to add a bit of an herbal depth to the tea. 

If this is what the experimental rejects are like then I am super excited for the ones that passed the test! There are so many that look super tasty, especially the Dark Chocolate Oolong, Jackseed Gyokuro, Elixir #9, and 7 Oolong Blend!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.