Friday, January 20, 2017

Origins Tea: Red Jade GABA, A Tea Review

So Ben and I were looking at Necrons today (no reason) and he called the Doom Scythe a croissant...and now I can't unsee it. Of course now I want to get an entire Necron army (which I did anyway, love me some Necrons) and instead of my original theme of making them Egyptian, make them ridiculous French. The ships would be actual croissants, the goss weapons would be baguettes, they would wear berets and silly striped shirts...it would be absolutely silly. Pity that Games Workshop armies cost a fortune and creating ridiculous paint schemes is not a real possibility, so they will only live in my head.

Ok, time to pull my nose out of Minecraft (modded has become my life lately) and review today's tea, Red Jade GABA by Origins Tea, a Red Jade that has been processed as a GABA Oolong, in essence combining two of my favorite Taiwanese style teas. When I first saw the tea on the website, before trying it, I thought it was a hongcha processed as a GABA which I thought would be unique, but no, 'tis and Oolong! The aroma of the leaves is intensely nutty, like a mixed bowl of nuts with almonds, chestnuts, pecans, and walnuts...conveniently sitting next to a bowl of baked apples and pumpkin pie. Now I kinda want to try a combination apple and pumpkin pie, that could be really good. With a nut crust!

Steeping time! The aroma is nutty and sweet, notes of pumpkin pie and baked sweet potatoes. It is very starchy in the aroma, with undertones of fruit. The liquid is buttery sweet and quite starchy, baked sweet potatoes and pumpkin (losing a bit of the pie notes and smelling more like a freshly cut open pumpkin) with an accompaniment of sunflower seeds and chestnuts.

This tea is...unique. Starting off with a thick, almost oily mouthfeel that thoroughly coats every part of the mouth. The taste is a peculiar blend of caramelized peanuts, baked sweet potato and pumpkin...which then moves into a tingly woody taste that is almost more a sensation than taste. I had a heck of a time putting it into words, but it tastes like horehound and teaberry, but combined which is not something I thought I would experience.

The next steep still tastes of caramelized peanuts and sweet potatoes with a strong pumpkin note, but with an extra boost of caramel. It is very thick and sweet, not unlike actual caramel. The pumpkin taste, I should note, is not cooked pumpkin pie, it is straight up pumpkin, which of course puts me in mind of autumn and gutting pumpkins. There is still the peculiar blend of teaberry and horehound at the finish that lingers with a tingly mouhfeel, sweeping away the thickness.

I got a lot of steeps out of this tea, it lasts for quite a while, and I stuck with it to the end. I was conflicted the entire session because I was never really sure if I liked it. The sweetness was wonderful, the tasting notes fascinating, but I am not sure they worked in my brain. I will give the tea credit for being one of the more interesting teas I have consumed in a while, which is part of the reason I continued with it until it was finished. I recommend trying it based entirely on its peculiar taste.

This tea was sent for review purposes by the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.